How to Measure Your Head for a Wig or Hair Topper
There may be slight differences in how each brand measures their wig and/or hair toppers, but here is the general way you can make sure you are getting the right fit:
How to Measure Your Head For a Wig
1. Take a flexible tape measurer and start from the hairline at the center of your head.
2. Wrap the tape measurer around to the nape of your head (make sure you are getting to the very bottom of your nape!) then back around until you reach the center of your hairline again.
Note: How tight you measure this circumference depends on your preference on how tight you want your wig to be! We recommend this to be snug, but not too tight as to give you a headache, sort of how it feels to comfortably wear a hat!
Keep in mind if you are planning to wear a wig grip or wig cap, you should take the circumference measurement while wearing these accessories as it will change your circumference measurement!
How Do I Know Whether a Wig Fits Me Correctly?
Here are a few tips on how to gauge whether a wig correctly fits:
1. The Finger Test: insert a finger underneath the wig cap. You should be able to fit your finger in between the cap and your nape snugly. If you're not able to fit a finger inside, it may be too tight. If you're able to fit more than one finger in between your head and the cap, it may be too loose.
If it's too loose, try adjusting the straps in the back of the wig! However, if there is too much of a gap and materials that bubbles up in the back, you may need a smaller size.
Overall, the wig should fit like a baseball cap! Not too tight and not too loose!
2. Check for any gaps between the back of your head and the cap. If you have a flatter head in the back, it's normal to have a little bit of a gap! However, it shouldn't visually look bulky. Make sure the back of the wig cap is at the very bottom of your nape. This reduces "wigginess" - if it still looks bulky, you may need a smaller size.
3. For lace top and lace front wigs, check if the lace front is laying flat. You shouldn't see any ripples! If you see the lace lift up, the wig may be the wrong size for you.
1. Take a flexible tape measurer and measure side to side up until the point where your head starts to curve. Add 1/2-1 inch. This is your 1st measurement.
2. Then, measure from front to back, starting from your hairline to the back of your head starts to curve back. Add 1/2-1 inch. This is your 2nd measurement.
3. Put these measurements together for your ideal topper size:
[1st measurement in inches x 2nd measurement in inches]
Tip: For each measurement, make sure you have enough hair for clips to snap in that area. If hair is sparse, increase the measurement (i.e. move the measuring tape down) until you have reached an area where you have healthy hair.
If you do not have healthy hair in the majority of your scalp for clips to clip in to, we recommend considering a wig for comfort!
How Do I Know Whether a Hair Topper Fits Me Correctly?
Here are a few tips on how to gauge whether a hair topper correctly fits:
1. Make sure there are no air bubbles or gaps between the hair topper and your head. There should be direct contact around all parts of the hair topper. If there is a little lift, it may be a sign that the hair topper is too small for you.
On the other hand, if the hair topper feels heavy and bulky, you may opt for a smaller size or lower density topper as well!